Tuesday, August 3, 2010

First Harvest and Dirty Girl

We have a garden for the second year. We added a new raised bed so we doubled our capacity. I had such high hopes for getting things in earlier so that I could put the lion's share away before the baby comes. Of course, that didn't happen. Andy's May was very busy and I couldn't lift dirt and things on my own. We ended up getting nothing in the ground until the second week in June. The garden looks great, but I will have 8 tomato plants, 2 zucchini, 2 eggplant, 2 cucumber, and 1 squash plants coming to harvest with a newborn:) Oh, well. We had our first harvest about a week ago. We had a beautiful Japanese eggplant that we sauteed to add to our homemade pizza. Since we have had many cukes, and other eggplants. We have a yellow squash coming and about a thousand zucchini flowers. I will already start to make baby food if all those flowers become zucchini:) The tomatoes are doing well, but it will probably be October before we have any. Also we have a bell pepper plant, but I have heard that may wait out this heat and produce late as well.
Here are the girls with their prize. Because I am so big and can't maneuver over the garden fence well, they have been keeping me updated about what is ready when.
Speaking of a gardener, here is a picture of a very dirty Joiner. I don't think the picture does justice to how completely covered in dirt she was. Dad, Carly, and I went to the Verizon store to get new phones and Joiner and Gigi stayed home to play outside. They planted a few pots of purslane, but nothing that explains this. She even had it in her ear. Even Gigi had no idea how she was this dirty!


No comments:

Post a Comment